Dutch Oven Deep Dish Pizza
by Todd Leonard CEC
Total Time: 102 min
Prep Time: 90 min
Cook Time: 12 min
1 c. water
2 tbsp. water
1 pkg. Instant Dry Yeast equal to 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 3/4 c. THRIVE Country White Dough Mix
1/2 c. THRIVE Tomato Sauce
2 c. hot water
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. THRIVE Peppercorn
1 tbsp. THRIVE Italian Seasoning Blend
2 c. THRIVE Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – Freeze Dried reconstituted as per can directions
4 oz. pepperoni slices
1 c. black olives, sliced
1 c. THRIVE Green Bell Peppers – Freeze Dried reconstituted as per can directions
1 c. THRIVE Sausage Crumbles – Freeze Dried reconstituted as per can directions
3/4 c. THRIVE Chopped Onions – Freeze Dried reconstituted as per can directions
- Prepare crust as per directions on bread can adding water and yeast to bread mix and kneading for 5 minutes. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Shape dough into 2-3 separate pieces. Take one and roll out into 12-14 inch circle on floured table.
- Prepare briquettes and let smolder to create white hot coals.
- Coat bottom of 12 inch dutch oven with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil. Once coals are white, set oven on coals with lid on to preheat.
- To prepare the sauce, heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until slightly golden.
- Add hot water to pan to deglaze the garlic, add tomato sauce mix and whisk until combined, bring to simmer. Add peppercorn and Italian seasoning.
- Turn heat to low and let simmer until ready to use.
- Take rolled dough and carefully place in hot dutch oven, making sure crust lays flat and carefully press crust up sides 1-2 inches with spoon.
- Spread sauce on crust to edges and add toppings, cheese last.
- Cover and set back on coals. Add 18 coals to top, and 10 to bottom. (internal temp to be 425 degrees)
- Cook undisturbed for 12-20 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Buon Appetito Cowboy!
*repeat to use other dough balls or use for scones or bread sticks. Extra sauce is great for dipping!