Tortilla Soup with Corn and Cheddar Biscuits
by Todd Leonard CEC
Total Time: 25 min
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 20 min
1 tbsp. Butter
2 tbsp. Garlic, minced
8 c. Water
3/4 c. THRIVE Seasoned Chicken Slices – Freeze Dried
1/2 c. THRIVE Red Bell Peppers – Freeze Dried
1/2 c. THRIVE Onion Slices – Freeze Dried
1/2 c. THRIVE Sweet Corn – Freeze Dried
1/4 c. THRIVE Green Chili Peppers – Freeze Dried
1/2 c. THRIVE Instant Black Beans
2 tsp. THRIVE Chefs Choice
1 tbsp. Chili powder
2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Cholula Hot Sauce
1 can Tomatoes, diced (drained) or 2 Roma tomatoes diced
5 Corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch squares
1/2 c. THRIVE Velouté (Rich Chicken Gravy)
1/4 c. Cilantro, fresh, chopped
2 tbsp. Lime Juice
Corn and Cheddar Biscuits
2/3 c. Whole Milk
1 tsp. Lemon Juice
2 tbsp. THRIVE Sweet Corn – Freeze Dried
2 tbsp. THRIVE Onion Slices – Freeze Dried
2 tbsp. THRIVE Green Chili Peppers – Freeze Dried
1 tsp. THRIVE Chefs Choice
3/4 tsp. Granulated garlic
1/2 c. Shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. White flour
1 tbsp. Baking powder
1/4 c. Butter, melted
3 tbsp. Melted butter
1 tbsp. Chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. Granulated garlic
- Tortilla soup: Saute butter and garlic in a 4 qt pot.
- Tortilla Soup: Add all Tortilla Soup ingredients except Veloute, tortillas, cilantro, and lime juice. Simmer for 15-20 minutes covered, or until black beans are done.
- Corn and Cheddar Biscuits: Preheat the oven to 400. Crush the Sweet Corn, Green Chili Peppers, and Onion Slices in a resealable bag by pounding lightly into small pieces.
- Corn and Cheddar Biscuits: Mix the milk with the lemon juice. Add the crushed vegetables to the milk mixture and let it rest. Combine and stir dry ingredients in a bowl and fold in milk mixture, cheese and melted butter until just combined.
- Corn and Cheddar Biscuits: Scoop out 8 large biscuits onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, brush melted butter garlic herb mixture on the top of each biscuit.
- Tortilla Soup: Add in remaining ingredients to the soup and simmer on low another 3-5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
Dish soup into bowl, top with chips or guacamole topping. Serve with corn and cheddar biscuits.